Skip to main content

Kosher Cooking Carnival: Mishenichnas Adar Edition

imageWelcome to the Adar 1st / February 11, 2013 edition of kosher cooking carnival-kcc.  

I think this is my FIFTH time hosting the kcc and I assure you, it will be my most slapdash, despite the infinite and amazing potential of an Adar-themed carnival. 

However, it would not be complete without a theme at all.  Rather than reaching around to come up with one, which would take more than thirty seconds, I’m going to pick the most obvious:  this month’s theme is… costumes!  Specifically, pictures of me and my family in costumes that I can find in one quick Google search.  Sort of like… the many faces of US.  Enjoy!

 

general kosher cooking

Quick lazy-mama tip:  Just throw a whole bunch of orange things on them and tell them they’re a BIG carrot!

Lady-Light presents Tikkun Olam: Don't Eat to Live, Part II posted at Tikkun Olam, saying, "Doesn't seem to relate to any category; it was suggested I post to KCC, so I am. Maybe the information can be used by someone."

Lady-Light presents Tikkun Olam: Dont' Eat, in Order to Live posted at Tikkun Olam, saying, "No category. Just info on what's happening to me, health wise"

Ester presents Chocolate Bread Recipe posted at Frugal and Kosher, saying, "I hope you don't mind my submitting one more! Thank you"

Nancy presents Meet My New Friend, Kohlrabi at My Kosher Kitchen @ COR, saying “I guess there is always reticence when it comes to experimenting.”

desserts

(yes, that’s me in a beard – my famous kohein gadol costume!!!)

Ester presents Simple Cake (that's not chocolate) posted at Frugal and Kosher.

From the “Cannot Believe It’s Pareve / I love coconut” department, here’s my take on decadent Pareve Chocolate Caramel Cookies for Shabbos over here at my bread and baking blog, Adventures in BreadLand, where I say, “they are a most delightful cookie that will probably wow your Shabbos table attendees.”

For the taste of cinnamon buns without the potchke of rolling them up, Gourmet Kosher Cooking presents Cinnamon Bun Bites.  Yummy!

Here’s one from my “must try” list:  yogurt-based chocolate mousse that looks utterly decadent!  From The (horrifically named and I apologize because this is a word I never use) Shiksa Blog comes Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse, where she writes, “I had a deep, insatiable desire for chocolate mousse. Trouble is, it’s so terribly unhealthy… Then, an idea came to me– why not use Greek yogurt to make a healthier version of chocolate mousse?”  Like I said – it’s on my list to try!

Naturally, like everything from the Our Shiputzim blog, you’ll want to drop everything to try this Freshly Baked Goods Friday: Applesauce Crumb Cake Edition posted by Mrs. S., who says, “Please stop by and taste the results.”

Finally, and I’m sorry to make this post soooo dessert-heavy (I just couldn’t find much else, and you people really need to submit more!), another one from my personal must-try list, Chocolate Peppermint Pudding Shots by Shoshana at Couldn’t be Parve.  They’re not soy-based, they’re coconut-based, and righ tnow, I am all about the coconut.

kosher cooking lite

If you’ve never made Israeli salad, you should… and here’s just the recipe to inspire you, over at Gourmet Kosher Cooking in Israeli Salad.

anything kosher!

This is EC – now 17 – back when I could throw a brown shirt on and tell her she was a horsie (see “orange/carrot” note, above; dress them in black and you can tell them they’re a ninja… or green for a turtle!)

Ester presents Price Controlled Foods in Israel posted at Frugal and Kosher.

In case you’re keeping kosher but missing the taste of creamy, meaty pasta sauces, Nina Safar presents Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta at Kosher in the Kitch!  Soy-based, and it calls for a cube of frozen Alfredo sauce from Dorot.  We can buy their spices here, but don’t believe I’ve seen the alfredo sauce cubes… intriguing (and, apparently, pareve!).

economical use of left-overs

Sharon's Table presents Shredded Chicken | Sharon's Table posted at Sharon's Table, saying, "Please look through my site and let me know what you think."

Bamitbach by Irene Saiger presents a great way to use up leftover soup chicken with Chicken Taquitos, saying, “My mother used to serve the soup chicken as a main course… and my mother-in-law used it as filling for knishes or shepard’s pie.  I decided to make Chicken Taquitos.”

everyday meals

Me and my sister Sara.  She’s an angel and I’m… well, some sort of feline thing.

I (yay, me!) present Quick, Easy Corny Skillet Cornbread – with Recipe over at my bread blog, Adventures in BreadLand, saying (yup, I’m quoting myself again!) “This really is one of the few recipes that I’d never try without a cast-iron skillet.”

From Busy in Brooklyn by chanie comes a tasty treat we’ve actually tried here a few times with different seasonings… Smoked Paprika Popcorn Cauliflower.  She says, “what I really loved most about [smoked paprika] popcorn, wasn’t the popcorn at all. It was the amazing smokiness of the paprika.”  These surprising bursts of cauliflower capture all that and more.  Or, for another yumm-licious take on cauliflower, why not try Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric & Ginger from Kosher in the Kitch?

 

kosher to go

Moi as earth mother, at left.

Batya presents me-ander: "Homemade" Kosher When Traveling posted at me-ander.

restaurant / cookbook reviews

The big kids – when they were little.

Batya presents me-ander: A Nice Meal Out With My "Study Group" Friends posted at me-ander.

Batya presents me-ander: The Worst Soup Ever! posted at me-ander.

a6traditional food

And lastly but not leastly, here’s Ted (the husband), left, dressed as Elvis… for his very first Purim ever, and right, most recently, with GZ, dressed as Sergeant Pepper (last year?).

JPix presents Sculpted Fish Recipe - Fish with Tehina posted at Here in HP, saying, "Variation on Syrian Jewish recipe"

Nancy presents Smoked Turkey in Honour of Tu Bishvat? at My Kosher Kitchen @ COR, offering “Slices of smoked turkey [with a] fresh fig jam.”

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of kosher cooking carnival-kcc using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

Technorati tags: , .

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a plane to catch… Happy Purim from me and mine to you and yours!!!

!!!חג פורים שמח…וכשר!!!

Comments

  1. Chodesh Tov! Wonderful job.  Thanks for including me in KCC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting!

    Strange that my name on the carnival is listed as JPiX? Must be because that darn blog carnival thinks I am JPiX (that's how I log in). Time to set up a different log in for that site.

    Anyway, I'm Leora, not JPiX, and thank you again for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely collection, and great dessert selection, if only there were more days in a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for including my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Thanks for including my post, and chodesh tov!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for mentioning my blog http://www.sharonstable.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This  post is included in Shiloh Musings: Pre-Purim Havel Havelim #399 (Could it Really be #399?).  Please see the others, comment and share, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th